"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." - Henry David Thoreau


I know I said "blog like no one is reading" but it's nice to know these people are

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Celebrating Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Spring or Any Excuse for a Party




I'm hosting a little get together tomorrow night and I think I have come up with the perfect party food. Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches or if I want to be really fancy I could call them Paninis and do an Italian theme. Either way it is my kind of party. Starts anytime after six o'clock and everyone will be out the door by nine at the latest. Friday is Jazz Mania in our town and it is like a Pub Crawl for grown ups. I wrote about it here last year and it one of the highlights of living where we do because it is the first spring event when we can all shed our winter coats (hopefully) and get out to see people who have been in hibernation all winter and listen to some great music.

But back to my pre-party. Since the evening does go on for quite a while and does involve lots of beverages including the kind you put in a plastic cup called "travellers" in these here parts and to which the local constabulary turns a blind eye, I thought that we really needed something substantial to eat before we all set off. But with 26 or more people coming I didn't want to do dinner. Et voila, the gourmet grilled cheeses. So I am off to our local cheese shop to stock up on lots of ooey gooey dairy products to hold the multitude of fillings I am thinking of using like proscuitto, sun dried tomatoes, pear, apple, basil, rare roast beef, Montreal smoked meat, and smoked salmon. And every kind of bread our local bakery bakes from multigrain to marble rye to raisin. I might even have to do a retro white Wonder Bread and Kraft Cheese slices with ketchup for dipping for fun. The possiblitites are endless and making me hungry so I had better get going but, if you have any great suggestions, please let me know.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun night and I think your idea of fancy grilled cheeses will hit the spot. Much better than chips/dips or veggie platters, I mean those taste good too, but as you say, the sandwiches give a little better base for the liquids!

    I love your quote above your post and am taking it with me. We never have enough bookcases, or books, in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you need ketchup for dipping!
    Now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s lunchtime and you’ve inspired me to make a grilled cheese sandwich…
    Have fun tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Love paninis! I may show up for some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all more than welcome to drop by. The shopping trip was a great success, I promise to report on the results later. But I'll leave you with one word - Beemster. My new favourite cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow that sounds fabulous! And that picture - SO much yummier than the salad I had for lunch :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, wonder bread and kraft cheese sandwiches. Blast from the past!
    I love to put strawberry jam on my grilled cheeses, kind of a sweet with the salty thing.

    Sounds like you're enjoying the change of seasons. It's always so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found you on Lynn's blog and came over to see what you did for WAHM... I was stopped by the lovely grill cheese. YUMMAY

    You should consider Macaroni Kid as an option. It's an amazing opportunity for a driven person.... and you have it down pat... the feel of what articles etc would be like. You're doing it already on your blog! lol

    xoxo
    supah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin