"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." - Henry David Thoreau


I know I said "blog like no one is reading" but it's nice to know these people are

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Simple Things - The First 25

I know this has been done many times before and has been and will be done in a much wittier or more creative way by others but it was a quiet day at work so here are my 25 simple things. Wish that I had the time to illustrate them with wonderful photos, maybe I will ... someday.


  1. Sleeping in a freshly made bed
  2. Opening the first page of a book I couldn't wait to read
  3. The first snowfall of the season
  4. Listening to my children laugh or sing together
  5. Laughing with my brother and sister
  6. Paddling through the morning mist on our lake
  7. Sitting on the dock with coffee, the paper and a warm sticky bun
  8. The smell of a wood fire burning on a cold night
  9. An unexpected message from a friend
  10. The smell and touch of a just bathed baby
  11. Galloping across a wide open field
  12. Peonies, daisies and lilacs
  13. Hearing the perfect song at the perfect time
  14. The quiet of sounds muffled at night by a blanket of snow
  15. The smell of freshly baked bread
  16. Looking at their baby pictures with my boys
  17. Being alone at the cottage
  18. Being with friends and family at the cottage
  19. Plain white china
  20. Fall colours, cozy sweaters and leather boots
  21. The smell of the barn - horses, leather and hay
  22. Afternoon naps on the porch in the summer
  23. Afternoon naps under a cozy duvet during the winter
  24. Seeing an elderly couple holding hands
  25. Hearing silence and discovering that everyone is reading
What are the simple things you love?

1 comment:

  1. With the exception of galloping and barns, everything on your list - plus family gatherings, the smells of spring, babies’ feet, being with my best friend...hey, this could go on and on... Such a wonderful & cheery thing to do, though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin